CURRENT TRENDS IN DRUG ABUSE - CANCELLED
Sergeant Bruce Talbot (retired) is a 23-year veteran police officer with a Chicago metropolitan police department. Bruce holds a master of public administration degree from Roosevelt University. Bruce has been qualified as an expert witness in criminal court trials and has testified as an expert witness before two United States Senate committees on the topic of drug abuse. A nationally known presenter at conferences, he has also appeared on the NBC “Today Show,” CNN “Talk Back Live,” and CBS “Eye On AmericaMember's Fee: $0
Non-Member & Civilian Fee: $100
This one day course addresses the latest trends in substance abuse. Covering plant based drugs, emerging designer synthetic drugs, prescription drug abuse, counterfeit drugs, and over-the-counter drug abuse that are trending in popularity. Special emphasis will be placed on new state drug laws, drug user demographics, concealment techniques, and enforcement recommendations. Drugs to be discussed include:
- Designer Synthetics: W-18, U-47700, AH-7921, 25i-NBOMe, XLR-11, AB-FUBINACA, 5F-PB-22, and others,
- Narcotics: Acetyl Fentanyl, Black Tar Heroin, Cheese, Narco-Pops, OxyContin, Vicodin, Ultram, Opana, Roxi, and Zohydro
- Stimulants: Flakka (a-PVP analogs) Molly, Ice, Cat, and cocaine
- Prescription trends: legal changes to hydrocodone, counterfeit prescription pills identification
- Over-the-counter drugs of abuse: DXM (e.g. “Pink Snurfs”), and Diphenhydramine
- Botanicals: Salvia, Kratom, and Woodrose, Yopo
- New forms of cannabis such as Dabs, Shatter, Wax, Honey Oil, Delta-6 THC, “Firecrackers”, and Vaping.
This class is ideal for any patrol officer, investigator, school resource officer, crime prevention, narcotic, gang officers, probation officers and substance abuse professionals or school counselors.
THIS COURSE MEETS THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED MANDATED TRAINING: LEGAL UPDATES & PROCEDURAL JUSTICE
MTU 5’s request for certification of this course is PENDING through the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standard’s Board.
Course enrollment must be made by the agency CEO or designated training officer. Registration may be made using our on-line course registration link on this website. All officers enrolled by their department will be assumed to be on duty unless otherwise noted
Mobile In-Service Training Region #5 –Assist Program
Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board
Serving the Counties of: Bureau – La Salle – Marshall – Putnam - Stark