Departments are responsible for registration, attendance, cancellation and absenteeism of their personnel.
It is IVCPC’s policy for the employing agency to register their officers for training courses and that officers may not register themselves for courses without their supervisors’ approval.
IVCPC courses are filled on a first come first serve basis. On line registration forms must be completed by the agency training officer or designee and submitted to IVCPC via the website. Once the registration is received by IVCPC, confirmation will be sent back to the agency representative via email. The student’s name will then be placed on the class roster.
Should a class reach its capacity, a “waiting list” will be created. Students on the “waiting list” cannot attend the training unless a cancellation occurs. The training officer or designee should inform IVCPC of cancellations as soon as it is known the officer cannot attend. If there is a waiting list and a cancellation occurs, IVCPC will contact those on the waiting list.
In case of course cancellation for situations other than weather, or a sick instructor, IVCPC will contact all affected departments not less than ten (10) days from the date of the scheduled class.
Student Cancellation/ Absenteeism
From time to time the training officer fails to notify IVCPC of a cancellation and students on the “waiting list” are not given the opportunity to attend the class. Cooperation regarding this cancellation policy is needed to maintain overall effectiveness, including cost of materials and instructor fees. Following this policy will also assist in maintaining class size.
When IVCPC experiences class attendance shortages by personnel who do not attend the class(es) they have been registered for or attend without proper registration it creates several problems:
- The class has limited enrollment and other officers are deprived of the educational opportunity when a registered officer does not attend.
- Materials costs are based upon the number of officers registered.
- The size of the course is too small to achieve the course objective and would have been cancelled because it is neither cost effective nor provides a favorable learning environment.
- The required number of attendees for the course is then too low to meet the grant’s minimum requirements for funding and the course would have been otherwise cancelled. The IVCPCs required to pay the cost differences if the required attendees for a grant course are not met.
- The instructor is present and prepared for instruction. His/her time is valuable and therefore must be compensated even when no students arrive for class.
The Mobile Training Unit is designed for and takes into consideration the complexities of scheduling, last minute emergency circumstances beyond a department’s control, such as illness, police emergency, etc. IVCPC is only asking for enrolling departments to contact our office as soon as possible when it is known an enrolled officer cannot attend a training session.
IVCPC does not charge police agencies the cost of the vacant seat for “no shows” at this time.